Please carry out your discussions and thoughts on the Projector / Big Screen ideas as comments in this post. Please Do Not use the mailing list for this unless you are a board member and using the board email list.

7 comments on “Projector / Big Screen Discussion
  1. MontyMattox says:

I did not want to start a fire storm of discussion regarding the pros and cons of all options regarding projecting images for multiple viewers. There are many different avenues that can be taken to accomplish this.

We have an opportunity to view the performance of a commercial class Epson projector at no cost to us.

Just from our visual observations, and our recollection of past displays, most can recognize weather a change is in order or not.

For now, can we just view the projector, then at a later date determine if a change is in order, and proceed accordingly?

2. JannCole-LeBleu says:

Greetings All, Yes, we have switched nights this week, making Photo Forum Night precede Competition Night. This switch has been done in the past when needed. It is merely an unusual circumstance which arose allowing you all to view your images on Epson’s top of the line projector. THIS IS NOT A BOARD MATTER AT THIS POINT! This projector became available to us for one week only through accidental circumstances. Should we not let you, the members, view your images on it? That would be a tragedy. I think you all deserve that opportunity, thus, *I* made the decision to let you do so. After all *YOU* make up the club, the board’s purpose is to make final decisions, and that they will do in the future should anything arise from it. For now, this is just a show and tell. Please bring images, or submit them, that will tell you things about this projector. As a club, and as your president I want to offer you THE BEST in all things, represent you, and make this club the BEST we can Have a great weekend and remember not to sweat the little things. I really wish to hear no more negativity about this event. Your Resident President with the everlasting smile! Jann

3. JimHeric says:

I am sure that the new Epson Projector would be very nice and if we were a travel log group, or if we had a large group at every meeting of 200 people and were meeting in a huge room, I could see us continuing to use a projector
    You will never get a projected image to look like a transmitted image no matter how much calibration you do. Since we all view & correct our images on monitors at home, why not use this type of device when showing them at the club and bring them closer together.
    We can get large 55-60 inch top quality TVs that can be calibrated and kept calibrated at a very good price these days. I would suggest that maybe we might want to consider going in that direction going foreword instead of continuing to use the projector method.
    Just food for thought.
    Jim

• ThomasBruno says:

The board and past president went into a detailed discussion on evaluating the current projector. There are three components to projecting an image. One is the calibration of the laptop, the other is the type of projector (business, movie, DLP etc) and screen (with glass reflection or a flat screen like we are using). A business projector will illuminate and designed for presenting graphic presentations in a lighted room. As we saw the other night, the projector was missing some of the dark values of 1,2,3 in the test mode as some of the colors (simply put, more light was being projected and washing out some of the images). The current “movie” projector has a warmer tone and is more color sensitive (put the same image on mat or semi gloss or glossy – and the image has a different look and feel). This applies to the screen the image being projected (club has a flat screen and no glass in a high key screen). A flat screen is normally selected when using a “business projector.” The current club projector has probably 600 hours on the bulb (3 hrs per meeting times 4 meetings time ten months time five years – includes the year end judging). My guess is the bulb currently being used is rated at about 2,000 hours and as I recall, Rick negotiated a spare bulb with the price of the new projector. I can go into more detail on projector and screen relationship if anyone is interested.

My issue is identification of a problem with current projector and taking it to the board for action. A lot of rumors have been stated in emails of a 2 1/3 stop difference in illumination. I can justify a 1/3 f stop difference just because of the difference in a flat screen (currently used) vs a screen designed for photographs / movies (glass in the screen). Epson has a screen about 80 inches wide by 50 inches for $149 plus shipping. I am not advocating buying anything unless the board is given a complaint and the board develops a mechanism to fix (if there is one) a problem with current projector. Bottom line, the only way to show / present “your” picture for evaluation is in “print.” This is why the board ask for a print presentation board (portable gray box with LED lights). The members that made the box, developed a plan, made drawing, developed a mock up, and then build the final version we use to date. Lights as I recall was the biggest issue to be discussed and analysis (pro and con with cost, weight, power, constant K level etc.). The gray presentation box came in under budget and faster because there was a logical process.

Recommend a survey be sent out to see if there is a problem with the projector and then if there is, the board take action as appropriate based on the results of the survey.

• ThomasBruno says:

As some of you know, I have a traumatic brain injury and sometimes do not articulate my comments completely. I want everyone to know, when I am talking about the “current” projector purchase / review, Rick LeBrun was the president. The board formed a committee and developed parameters for selection. I want to make it very clear, I am not opposed to purchasing a new projector. Like the last time (six years ago), the club members recommended the “old projector” be looked at and compared to the purchase of a “new projector” (current one being used). Again, like last time, if the members believe it is time to replace the “current projector” with a brand new and more up to date projector, I have no problem as long as the members and the board say it is time to look at replacing the “existing” projector.

• ThomasBruno says:

If the members and the board want to replace the “existing” projector, their need to be a “goal” of what we are trying to achieve. The goal maybe to replicate the picture quality of the source (lap top from a member / Kurt Photo Forum Night / Mike Competition Night / Monty Education Night / David Challenge Night) be as close as possible to the projected image. If this is the goal, then I also believe we should look at the screen because it plays an important part in the projected image.

For the record, I am not opposed to refreshing the projector and screen technology, I just want the board and members to be involved in the process with a desired goal. I owned and sold a “quality” manufacturing / execution software company – used by IBM (call center), Lockheed Martin (Joint Strike Fighter), Abbot Labs (bio-medical devices, DoD / DoE and others) – Quality equals Conformance to Requirements (QCR was the company I sold). In my opinion, we as a club need to define the “requirements” (goal) and then the club purchases (Projector / Screen ) that conforms to the requirements, and we will have quality pictures on the source as well as the wall / screen.

One more time, I am not opposed to purchasing new technology, I just want the board to be involved and the members to define the problem we are trying to solve.

If you have any questions, please email or call me directly and please do not send email to every club member, lets use the blog as intended. Questions ?

4. MarkGotchall says:

After reviewing my two image samples the other night and with no research what so ever, I have come to the following conclusions.
    With the club projector I need to reduce highlights or overall exposure by about 1/2-2/3 of a stop depending on the image. With the demo projector it looks more like 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of a stop, but still over exposed. If a screen would improve the display – great – it is less expensive than a new projector. Bottom line, understand how the current (original or replacement) projector projects, compared to a calibrated monitor, and compensate for it. Or start bringing in prints.