I drove the route today (9/20) in preparation for the Field Trip this coming weekend. I’m glad I did!
• It’s a full day drive to get to all 6 bridges unless you are content shooting them from bridge level.
• Most require climbing down steep embankments, boots and walking stick if you want to get on the water.
With these in mind I’ve selected two Covered Bridges to focus on, both of which are accessible and one which has a picnic area and bathrooms, as well. Of course, there are 4 other bridges for you to check out along the way if you choose.
Our choices are Gilkey Bridge with an adjacent train trestle:
And Larwood Covered Bridge and Wayside Park:
• Meet Up: at 9:20 AM behind the Chase Bank in the Gateway Marketplace (see map below). This will provide riders a meet-up time and place with drivers.
• Departure: at 9:30. The drive to our first location is approximately 55 minutes. We have the Scio Region Covered Bridge map for you.
• Brown Bag Lunch: – NEW – Approx. 12:30 is at the Larwood Covered Bridge and Wayside Park. It is quite nice with plenty of shooting opportunities!
• The afternoon is your time to explore more bridges or perhaps drive up to Silver Falls which is only a 35 minute drive away. Woohoo!
Adrienne Adam, Field Trip Chairperson
PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR!
Map to meeting place: